National Physical Therapy Month – #ChoosePT!
Message from APTA President Sharon Dunn, PT, PhD
National Physical Therapy Month (NPTM) is our opportunity each year to take time to recognize the transformative power of physical therapists.
America continues to fight a devastating opioid epidemic. No state is untouched. In 2016 physical therapy was identified as part of the solution by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and then-US Surgeon General Vivek H. Murthy. That year APTA launched the #ChoosePT campaign to educate the public about physical therapist services as a safe alternative to opioids for treatment of pain.
APTA’s #ChoosePT campaign has already reached millions with its vital and empowering message. It is critical that we get ahead of this epidemic through prevention of addiction via alternative treatments. This fall APTA will continue to build on the momentum of #ChoosePT.
Everyone in this profession can serve as an ambassador for physical therapy, and NPTM is a call for each of us to reach beyond the walls of our clinics and classrooms to connect with the public at large.
To help you, the #ChoosePT webpage includes a campaign toolkit, and the National Physical Therapy Month webpage offers an event planning guide, sample news release, tips for contacting the media, and customizable patient handouts.
As you observe National Physical Therapy Month and promote the #ChoosePT campaign, please share photos of your efforts on social media using the #PTmonth and #ChoosePT hashtags, and email photos and descriptions of your activities to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am looking forward to seeing the many creative ways you spread the word. Here’s to another successful NPTM.
Sharon L. Dunn, PT, PhD
Board-Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy
President, American Physical Therapy Association
National Physical Therapy Month 2017
Despite extensive efforts to raise awareness about the opioid epidemic and to address its human toll, opioids continue to be prescribed and abused at alarming rates. All this October, APTA will carry on raising awareness of physical therapy as a safe and effective alternative to opioids for the long-term treatment of chronic pain via its award-winning #ChoosePT campaign.
You can learn about #ChoosePT and find ways to support APTA’s efforts locally by visiting the online Campaign Toolkit.
Here’s a great way to get started.
- Share the “Mask” public service announcement on your website or social media sites.
- Follow @MoveForwardPT on Twitter and Facebook, and “like” and share our #ChoosePT posts and graphics.
- Download and distribute the Patient Pain Profile at your facility or events.
- Host a session for other health care providers about a physical therapist’s role in pain management. Download and distribute APTA’s position paper on opioid abuse and the role of the physical therapist.
- Present to the public about a physical therapist’s role in pain management. Download and distribute APTA’s Physical Therapy vs Opioids handout.
Choose Physical Therapy for Safe Pain Management
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is urging health care providers to reduce the use of opioids in favor of safe alternatives like physical therapy for most non-cancer-related chronic pain management.
- National Physical Therapy Month 2017 (NPTM) Logo
- MoveForwardPT.com (Official Consumer Information Website of APTA)
- Customizable Handouts for Patients
- PR & Marketing Tools to Reach Consumers
For more info on anything mentioned in this article or for info on current product specials, please contact your personal MeyerPT Account Manager.
If you don’t know who your Account Manager is, please call 866.528.2144 to find out.