C. Norman Shealy, MD, PhD, is a neurosurgeon trained at Massachusetts General Hospital following medical school at Duke University. He has taught at Harvard, Western Reserve, University of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota, and Forest Institute of Professional Psychology. He currently serves as Professor of Energy Medicine and is President Emeritus of Holos University Graduate Seminary, which offers doctoral programs in Spiritual Healing and Energy Medicine. Dr. Shealy introduced the concepts of Dorsal Column Stimulation and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS), both now used worldwide. In 1971, he founded the first comprehensive, holistic clinic for pain and stress management. The Shealy Institute became the most successful and most cost-effective pain clinic in the US, with 85% success in over 30,000 patients. The Shealy protocols for management of depression, migraine, fibromyalgia, and back pain are increasingly being integrated into hospitals and individual practices. The Shealy Wellness Center focuses on these four major chronic problems. Dr. Shealy holds 11 patents for innovative discoveries, has published more than 300 articles including 22 books, the latest of which is “Life Beyond 100-Secret of the Fountain of Youth. His free e-newsletter is available at www.normshealy.com. Holos University information is at www.hugs-edu.org.
Dr. Shealy entered Duke University at age 16 and Duke Medical School at 19. He was elected to both Phi Beta Kappa and Alpha Omega Alpha honor societies and became the permanent class officer of his graduating medical school class. He interned in Internal Medicine at Duke and then had a year of General Surgery at Banes Hospital, followed by a five-year residency in Neurosurgery at Harvard’s Massachusetts General Hospital. He is Board Certified in Neurological Surgery. In 1961 he spent 9 months working with Sir John Eccles, Nobel Laureate, at the Australian National University. In 1977 he earned a Ph.D. in Psychology from Saybrook Institute, the leading Humanistic Psychology school. And he received a Doctor of Science degree from Ryodoraku Institute.
He then spent 3½ years at Western Reserve Medical School, where his research led to both Dorsal Column Stimulation and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS™), both now used worldwide to help control pain. In 1966 he became Chief of Neurosciences at Gundersen Clinic, one of the 10 largest clinics in the U.S. In 1971 he founded the first comprehensive pain and stress management clinic in the world. The Shealy Institute was recognized for several years as the most successful and most cost effective pain clinic in the U.S. Over a 30 year period his clinic treated over 30,000 chronically ill patients with a remarkable 85% success rate.
His other contributions include:
- Winner of the first Harold G. Wolff award for excellence in pain research
- Biogenics®, a ”software” system for biofeedback training and self-regulation
- Facet rhizotomy, a safe technique for management of back pain
- Medical Intuition as a diagnostic tool
- Trained several notable Medical Intuitives, including Caroline M. Myss
- Cranial Electrical Stimulation for control of depression
- Founder and first President of American Holistic Medical Association
- Founded the Ambrose and Olga Worrall Institute for Spiritual Healing
- Founded Holos Institutes of Health, Inc., a 502-C-3 organization for research and education
- Developed the concept of neurochemical profiling as critical diagnostic systems for depression
- Developed the Shealy RelaxMate™, the most successful adjunct for relaxation
- Discovered 4 unique natural techniques for rejuvenating the body’s ability to make DHEA, the most critical hormone for determining health
- Developed an advanced computerized traction table for treatment of headache and back pain
- Demonstrated that transdermal application of magnesium is much more effective than oral supplementation
- Developed the SheLi TENS™, accepted by the FDA for treatment of pain
- Co-Founded with Caroline Myss the American Board for Scientific Medical Intuition
- Founded and is President of Holos University Graduate Seminary, a graduate school, accredited by New Thought Accreditation Commission, offering doctoral degrees in spiritual healing and Energy Medicine
- Has 9 United States patents
- Holistic Person of the Year, 1985, AHMA
- Stress Award, 1997, American Institute of Stress
- Elmer and Alyce Green Award, 1998, ISSSEEM
- Pearl Award, 2000, Bio-Medical Synergistics Education Institute
- Founding Diplomate, American Board of Holistic Medicine, 2000
- Spurgeon English Humanitarian Award, 2002, Temple University
- Senior Fellow Emeritus, 2003, Biofeedback Certification Institute of America
- Professor Emeritus of Energy Medicine, Greenwich University
He has appeared on numerous national TV programs, including The Tomorrow Show, The Joan Rivers program, Geraldo, Good Morning, America, the Today Show, Oprah, the Wisdom Channel, and scores of regional and local television and radio programs. He has had for 20 years the most popular call-in radio show in the Ozarks on KWTO, 560 AM. Since 1971 he has lectured worldwide at hundreds of medical schools, universities, hospitals and churches, with up to 100 appearances each year.